Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Blog May 4, 2016

Socratic Seminar Morrie Reflections 

Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Prompt: Explain how the past four Socratic Seminars have influenced your thinking about Tuesday's with Morrie and life in general. What trends did you notice with yourself and your personal goals for each seminar? How did your personal goal(s) change and what did you actively do to change throughout our last four discussions? What trends did you notice with the class for each seminar? What did you notice that helped or hindered a specific seminar? 

            The past four seminars have influenced my thinking about Tuesday's with Morrie, and life in general by allowing myself to understand the book a lot better, and to look at different angles on certain topics. Each Socratic seminar was different. The first Socratic seminar mostly just helped my understanding of the book. I kept thinking that Morrie's life was very sad, but then as I read more I learned how Morrie lived a very happy life. The first, and second seminar mainly focused on Morrie, and how he has lived his life so far. Towards the last Socratic seminar my thoughts have changed. I started to really think about my life, and about the things I should really care about. The seminars started to focus on Mitch's life, and our lives as well. The seminars made me aware that everyone has different thoughts. We were able to realize that we can relate to Mitch and Morrie a lot, and even take their advice. 

            Trends I noticed with myself and my personal goals is that I did better with the first and second Socratic seminar than I did with the last two. My first goal was to talk a little more and ask more questions. During the next seminar I think I completed this goal pretty well. My next goal was to bring a person into the conversation. I did ask questions which caused more people to join in and add their ideas, but I didn't ask a question to one specific person. My next personal goal was to share more thoughts while using textual evidence from the book. I hardly talked during the fourth seminar, and didn't accomplish my personal goal. I think I was more interested toward the beginning and middle of the book, so I didn't have many thoughts, or much to say during the last seminar. 

            Not only did I notice trends with myself and my personal goals, but I also noticed trends with the class during each Socratic seminar. After each seminar I noticed everyone really put a lot of thought into their questions. The first seminar, we mainly focused on Morrie, and just summarized the chapters we have read. Toward the last seminars we talked about ourselves, and how our lives changed. Many people shared how they were inspired by Morrie, and that he changed a part in all of our lives. Something I also noticed was how people weren't sharing their ideas, even when they had the chance. I noticed a few people, including myself, who were going to say something but then would get cut off. It seemed like they just forgot about what they were going to say, and waited to say something else. I also noticed how he group would jump into different topics too quickly. A lot of the time, we didn't completely finish what we were talking about, and moved on which sometimes really got off topic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment