Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Blog April 18, 2016


Bucket List Blog

Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom

Prompt: What are your initial reactions to what you have read in Tuesday's with Morrie thus far? One of the main themes developing in Tuesday's with Morrie is not to take your life for granted. Based on this premise, what is your bucket list? You can write a paragraph leading up to a bulleted list of what you would like to do/accomplish in your life.


            When I read the first couple of chapters in the book Tuesday's with Morrie I instantly told myself that I would end up loving the book. The thing I liked a lot about the book so far was the way the author wrote. The writing is very descriptive, and I am able to picture the characters and everything that is going on very well. You can also tell what the characters are feeling based on the word choice. From how the author describes actions (especially when Mitch first gets to see Morrie after college) the readers can really tell how their relationship is and how close the two have been in Mitch's college years. It definitely warmed my heart when Morrie was still able to remember Mitch after such a long time. Another thing I like is how the author sometimes goes back in time to Mitch's college years while it still pertains to the book. The author throws in some of his writing he did back in college while he had Morrie as a teacher. The writing tells us a little about Morrie and Mitch's relationship together. 

            When I first started reading the book I did not expect it to be so sad and overwhelming to think of. At the same time it is very heartwarming and thoughtful. The books makes the readers think a lot about our choices in life, and how we should be greatful for everything we have now. The book so far has been full of different emotions. You can see the different pain Mitch and Morrie feel so far in the book. While Mitch talks and spends time with Morrie, he feels awfully sorry for him. While on the other hand every movement that Morrie takes causes him physical pain. Those emotions that the people in the book feel move into the readers own emotions, and I love when books are able to do that. At one point you will be smiling about Morrie's personality, then the next moment you will want to cry at the fact that Morrie is going to die and is constantly in pain. I think Morrie is very strong to still be living with a bright personality in his condition. Mitch is also as strong as Morrie. Personally I get very overwhelmed when I'm with someone who is very ill, and can barely help themselves. Mitch is able to sit in front of Morrie, watching him suffer for hours just to talk with him. The fact that Mitch is able to do this without having an emotional breakdown shows how he is strong. It is tough for both of these characters, but they still try to keep a positive attitude. 

            Based on Morrie's life the readers can see how Morrie doesn't take life for granted. In the book Morrie  says to Mitch, "'Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do.'" This shows how Mitch's disease really affected him and the way he acted. He is always happy and says we shouldn't be sad about living an unhappy life. In many people's eyes Morrie has an unhappy life, but that doesn't stop him from keeping the great personality he has always had. Morrie doesn't want to be sad for the rest of his days, so he remains happy. This had me thinking about what I wanted to do with my life before I pass. Here is a list of things on my bucket list. 

- graduate college 
- walk the Golden Gate Bridge 
- complete a marathon 
- inspire someone 
- get married
- meet all of my favorite band members
- speak fluently in another language 
- learn how to drive
- go sky diving or scuba diving 
- visit at least one of the seven wonders of the world 
- go exploring and get lost 
- learn how to play another instrument 

No comments:

Post a Comment